- Goodale, E., H. Sridhar, K.E. Sieving, P. Bangal, G.J. Colorado, D.R. Farine, E.W. Heymann, H.H. Jones, I. Krams, A.E. Martínez, F. Montaño-Centellas, J. Muñoz, U. Srinivasan, A. Theo and K. Shanker (2020) Mixed company: A framework for understanding the composition and organization of mixed-species animal groups. Biological Reviews. [PDF]
- Marathe, A., D.R. Priyadarsanan, J. Krishnaswamy and K. Shanker (2020) Spatial and climatic variables independently drive elevational gradients in species richness. PLoS ONE 15(1): e0227628. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0227628. [PDF]
- Mohan, A.V. and K. Shanker (2018) Population structure of the Andaman keelback, Xenochrophis tytleri: oceanic barriers to dispersal influence genetic divergence in the Andaman archipelago. PeerJ. [PDF]
- Page, N. and K. Shanker (2018) Environment and dispersal influence changes in species composition at different scales in woody plants of the Western Ghats, India. Journal of Vegetation Science 29: 74-83.
- Shanker, K., K.N. Ganeshaiah and S.P. Vijayakumar (2017) Unpacking the species conundrum: philosophy, practice and ways forward. Journal of Genetics 96: 413-430. [PDF]
- Vijayakumar, S.P., R.C. Menezes, A. Jayarajan and K. Shanker (2016) Glaciations, Gradients and Geography: multiple drivers of diversification of bush frogs in the Western Ghats Escarpment. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 283: 20161011. [Cover image in Proc B; featured in Nature Asia].
- Sridhar, H. and K. Shanker (2014) Importance of intraspecifically gregarious species in heterospecific foraging associations in a tropical bird community. Oecologia 176: 763-770.
- Mukherjee, N., K. Shanker, N. Koedam & F. Dahdouh-Guebas (2014) Governance of coastal plantations in southern India: long term ecological vision or short term economic opportunity? Acta Oecologica.
- Barber, P. et al. (2014) Advancing Biodiversity Research in Developing Countries: the Need for a New Paradigm. Bulletin of Marine Sciences 187-210.
- Bowen, B.W., K. Shanker et al. (2014) Phylogeography Unplugged: Comparative geographic surveys in the genomic era. Bulletin of Marine Sciences 90:13-46.
- Sridhar, H. and K. Shanker (2014) Using intra-flock association patterns to understand why birds participate in mixed species foraging flocks in terrestrial habitats. Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology 68:185-196.
- Puri, M., N. Namboothri and K. Shanker (2014) Multi-scale patterns in co-occurrence of rocky inter-tidal gastropods along the west coast of India. Oikos 123: 345-355.
- Sridhar, H., F. Jordan and K. Shanker (2013) Species importance and resilience of a heterospecific foraging association network. Oikos 122: 1325-1334.
- Sridhar, H., Srinivasan, U., Askins, R. A., Canales-Delgadillo, J. C., Chen, C. C., Ewert, D. N., ... & Shanker, K. (2012). Positive Relationships between Association Strength and Phenotypic Similarity Characterize the Assembly of Mixed-Species Bird Flocks Worldwide. The American Naturalist, 180(6), 777-790. [Featured in Nature Research Highlights, Dec 20, 2012].
- Mukherjee, N., F. Dahdouh-Guebas, V. Kapoor, R. Arthur, N. Koedam, A. Sridhar & K. Shanker (2010) From bathymetry to bioshields: a review of post tsunami ecological research on India and its implications for policy. Environmental Management 46: 329-339.
- Oommen, M.A. & K. Shanker (2010) Shrewd alliances: context dependant foraging associations between treeshrews, drongos and sparrowhawks. Biology Letters 6:304-307.
- Feagin, R.A., N. Mukherjee, K. Shanker et al. (2010) Shelter from the storm? The use and misuse of ‘bioshields’ in managing for natural disasters on the coast. Conservation Letters 3:1-11.
- Sridhar, H., G. Beauchamp and K. Shanker (2009) Why do birds participate in mixed-species foraging flocks? A large-scale synthesis. Animal Behaviour 78: 337 – 347.
- Oommen, M.A. and K. Shanker (2008) Ecology and behaviour of an endemic tree shrew Tupaia nicobarica Zelebor 1869 on Great Nicobar Island, India. Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society 105(1): 55-63. [PDF]
- Oommen, M.A. & K. Shanker (2005) Regional species richness patterns emerge from multiple local scale mechanisms in Himalayan plants. Ecology 86: 3039-3047. [PDF]
- V. Meena, K. Shanker and R. Sukumar (2005) Small mammal communities in different habitats in Mudumalai, southern India. Mammalia 63(3-4): 349-358. [PDF]
- Dutta, S.K., K. Vasudevan, M.S. Chaitra, K. Shanker & R.K. Aggarwal (2004) Jurassic frogs and the evolution of amphibian endemism in the Western Ghats. Current Science 86: 211-216. [PDF]
- Shanker, K. (2003) Small mammal communities in montane ecosystems in the Nilgiris, southern India: their ecology and natural history. Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society 100: 46 - 57. [PDF]
- Shanker, K. (2001) The role of competition and habitat in structuring small mammal communities in a tropical montane ecosystem in southern India. Journal of Zoology 253: 15 - 24. [PDF]
- Shanker, K. (2000) Small mammal trapping in tropical montane forests of the Upper Nilgiris, southern India: an evaluation of Capture-Recapture models in estimating population size. Journal of Biosciences 25: 99-111. [PDF]
- Shanker, K. & R. Sukumar (1999) Synchrony in small mammal populations of montane forest patches in southern India. Journal of Animal Ecology 68: 50-59. [PDF]
- Shanker, K. & R. Sukumar (1998) Community structure and demography of small mammal populations in insular montane forests in southern India. Oecologia 116: 243-251. [PDF]
- Mukherjee, N., B. Muthuraman and K. Shanker (2009) Bioshields and ecological restoration in tsunami affected areas in India. In: Integrated Coastal Zone Management (eds. E. Dahl, E. Moskness and J. Stottrup). Wiley Blackwell Publishing.
- Shanker, K. (2005) Metapopulation dynamics and landscape effects in small mammal populations in a montane ecosystem in southern India. Wildlife Conservation, Research and Management (eds. Y.V. Jhala, R. Chellam and Q. Qureshi) pp. 8-12. A Technical Report of the Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun. RR-05/001.
- Dinesh, K.P., S.P. Vijayakumar, V. Ramesh, A. Jayarajan, S.R. Chandra Mouli & K. Shanker (2020) A new lineage of Walkerana (Anura: Ranixalidae) from the Western Ghats of Peninsular India. Zootaxa.
- Mallik, A.K., A.N. Srikanthan, S.R. Ganesh, S.P. Pal, S.P. Vijayakumar and K. Shanker (2019) A deeply divergent new lineage of vine snake from the southern Western Ghats of Peninsular India. PLOS One. [PDF]
- Vijayakumar, S.P., R. A. Pyron, K.P. Dinesh, V.R. Torsekar, A.V. Srikanthan, P. Swamy, E.L. Stanley, D.C. Blackburn and K. Shanker (2019) A new, ancient, microendemic lineage of frog (Astrobatrachidae fam. nov., Astrobatrachus kurichiyana gen et. sp. nov.) from the Western Ghats of Peninsular India. PeerJ. [PDF]
- Pal, S., S.P. Vijayakumar, K. Shanker, A. Jayarajan and V. Deepak (2018) A systematic revision of Calotes Cuvier, 1817 (Squamata: Agamidae from the Western Ghats adds two genera and reveals two new species. Zootaxa 4482(3): 401-450. [PDF]
- Dinesh, K.P., S.P. Vijayakumar, B.H. Channakeshavamurthy, V.R. Torsekar, N.U. Kulkarni & K. Shanker (2015) Systematic status of Fejervarya (Amphibia, Anura, Dicroglossidae) from South and SE Asia with the description of a new species from the Western Ghats of Peninsular India. Zootaxa. [PDF]
- Vijayakumar, S.P., K.P. Dinesh, M.V. Prabhu & K. Shanker (2014) Lineage delimitation and description of nine new species of bush frogs (Anura: Raorchestes, Rhacophoridae) from the Western Ghats Escarpment. Zootaxa 3893 (4): 451–488. [PDF]
- Chaitra, M.S., K. Vasudevan & K. Shanker (2004) The biodiversity bandwagon, the splitters have it. Current Science 86: 897-898. [PDF]
- Pradhan, M.S., R.M. Sharma & K. Shanker (1997) First record of Kelaart’s long-clawed shrew, Feroculus feroculus (Kelaart) from peninsular India. Mammalia 61: 448-450.
- Shanker, K. (1996) Classifying the Kiwi. Current Science 71: 6-8.