Notes and commentaries
- Bhatt, J.R, A.A. Das and K. Shanker (eds.)(2018) Biodiversity and climate change: an Indian perspective. Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Government of India. New Delhi, India.
- Shanker, K. and M.A Oommen (accepted) The authoritarian biologist reloaded and deep ecology redux: conservation imperialism and the battle over knowledge, money and space. In: XXXX (Eds. N. Sundar and S. Raghavan). Penguin Random House, New Delhi.
- Gupta, T., M. Manuel, M. Manoharakrishnan, N. Namboothri and K. Shanker (2019) Impact of fisheries bycatch on coastal and marine conservation and livelihoods. Journal of Governance 18: 55-63.
- Jaini, M., S Advani, K. Shanker, M.A. Oommen and N. Namboothri (2017) Worlds apart: How history, culture, infrastructure and export markets shape fisheries in India’s oceanic islands. Environmental Conservation 45: 41-48.
- Buscher, B. R. Fletcher, D. Brockington, C. Sandbrook, W.M. Adams, L. Campbell, C. Corson, W. Dressler, R. Duffy, N. Gray, G. Holmes, A. Kelly, E. Lunstrum, M. Ramutsindela and K. Shanker (2017) Half Earth or Whole Earth: radical ideas for conservation and their implications. Oryx 44: 482-484.
- Mukherjee, N., K. Shanker, N. Koedam & F. Dahdouh-Guebas (2014) Governance of coastal plantations in southern India: long term ecological vision or short term economic opportunity? Acta Oecologica.
- Barber, P. et al. (2014) Advancing Biodiversity Research in Developing Countries: the Need for a New Paradigm. Bulletin of Marine Sciences 90: 187-210.
- Mukherjee, N., F. Dahdouh-Guebas, V. Kapoor, R. Arthur, N. Koedam, A. Sridhar & K. Shanker (2010) From bathymetry to bioshields: a review of post tsunami ecological research on India and its implications for policy. Environmental Management 46: 329-339.
- Feagin, R.A., N. Mukherjee, K. Shanker et al. (2010) Shelter from the storm? The use and misuse of ‘bioshields’ in managing for natural disasters on the coast. Conservation Letters 3:1-11.
- Bali, A. and K. Shanker (2019) Hunting stories and shady tales: the impact of legislation on wildlife conservation and tree preservation in a human dominated landscape in the Western Ghats, India. In: Wildlife Conservation in India: from policy to practice (Eds. Ghazala Shahabuddin and K. Sivaramakrishnan). Orient BlackSwan Publishers.
- Bhatt, J.R, A.A. Das, P. Hari Haran and K. Shanker (2018) The implications of climate change for Indian Biodiversity: an overview. In: Biodiversity and climate change: an Indian perspective. Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (eds. J.R, Bhatt, A.A. Das and K. Shanker), Government of India. New Delhi, India.
- Shanker, K., S. Krishnan and M. Manuel (2018) Deconstructing the south: the politics of conservation in India. In: The anthropology of Conservation NGOs: rethinking the boundaries (Eds. P.B. Larsen and D. Brockington), pp. 267-273. Palgrave.
- Shanker, K., M.A. Oommen and N. Rai (2017) Changing natures: a democratic and dynamic approach to biodiversity conservation. In: India Futures (Eds. A. Kothari and K.J. Joy). Kalpavriksh.
- Mukherjee, N., B. Muthuraman and K. Shanker (2009) Bioshields and ecological restoration in tsunami affected areas in India. In: Integrated Coastal Zone Management (eds. E. Dahl, E. Moskness and J. Stottrup). Wiley Blackwell Publishing.
Notes and commentaries
- Oommen, M.A., R. Cooney, M. Ramesh, M. Archer, D. Brockington, B. Buscher, R. Fletcher, D.J. Natusch, A.T. Vanak, G. Webb and K. Shanker. 2019. The fatal flaws of compassionate conservation. Conservation Biology 33: 784-787.
- Jojan, A., S. Dsouza, P. Mukerjee, C. Rao and K. Shanker (2018) Critiquing narrow critiques of Convention on Biological Diversity. Economic and Political Weekly.
- Buscher, B. R. Fletcher, D. Brockington, C. Sandbrook, W.M. Adams, L. Campbell, C. Corson, W. Dressler, R. Duffy, N. Gray, G. Holmes, A. Kelly, E. Lunstrum, M. Ramutsindela and K. Shanker (2017). Doing Whole Earth Justice: reply to Cafaro et al. Oryx.
- Mukherjee, N., N. Namboodiri, S. Rodriguez, A. Sridhar, D. Subramaniam and K. Shanker (2008) Making Disasters: Post-Tsunami Coastal Rehabilitation and Management. Hindu Survey of the Environment
- Shanker, K., A. Hiremath and K.S. Bawa (2005) Linking Biodiversity Conservation and Livelihoods in India. PLOS Biology 3: 1878-1880.
- Madhusudhan, M.D., K. Shanker et al. (2006) Science in the wilderness: the predicament of scientific research in India’s wildlife reserves. Current Science 91: 1015 – 1019.